Please submit resumes to [email protected]
JOB TITLE: CRB Research Associate
REPORTS TO: CRB Chief Research Scientist
CLASSIFICATION: Regular – 12 month, exempt, at-will
LOCATION: CRB office, Visalia, CA
WORK HOURS: Typically Monday through Friday; occasional extended hours and weekends, travel subject to operational demands
SUMMARY: The Citrus Research Board Research Associate provides important support to the Chief Research Scientist for a more professional, proficient and complete department. Writing, editorial, project management, communication and business development skills are necessary.
The Citrus Research Program is a grower-funded and grower-directed program established in 1968 under the California Marketing Act as a mechanism for enabling the California citrus growers to sponsor and support needed scientific and technical research to further the goals of the California citrus industry. The program is administered by the Citrus Research Board, which is commonly referred to as the CRB.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
• Serve as a key science-oriented administrative assistant to the Chief Research Scientist.
• Serve as a member of the Citrograph editorial team. In this capacity, assist in determining quarterly issue content, article creation, formatting, proofing, editing and determining strategic direction of the publication.
• Under the direction of the Chief Research Scientist, write “white papers”, concept documents and other citrus-related documents.
• Provide staff assistance for the administrative details of the Research Development & Implementation Committee. This involves working with the Chief Research Scientist, President, Committee Chairman, Committee Members and consultants/attorneys.
• Draft meeting notices and agendas in compliance with Bagley-Keene Open Meeting rules. Prepare and submit minutes in a timely, correct and professional manner.
• Provide leadership in the Research Department as directed by the Chief Research Scientist in terms of project management. Details include involvement in establishing research priorities, drafting the Request For Proposals (RFP), and determining the research consideration and award schedule.
• Communicate regularly with researchers, staff and board/committee members. The research associate will receive and review research reports, receive and review research pre-proposals/proposals, communicate impending deadlines to researchers/potential researchers, provide leadership in regularly communicating to the research community the work of the Citrus Research Board through direct communication and through electronic newsletters and website postings.
• Participate as a member of the Research Department in the Researcher Engagement Program as developed and directed by the Chief Research Scientist.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Research Scientist and/or the President.
• Clear, effective written and oral communication.
• Self-starter with pride in the outcome of the final project.
• Ability to serve at the direction of the Chief Research Scientist in writing meeting notices, agendas and meeting minutes.
• Thoroughness and accuracy.
• Knowledge, experience and ability to assist researchers, committee members, staff, professional consultants and others in identifying viable inventions for field testing and commercialization.
• Ethical conduct and the ability to exercise confidentiality.
• Ability to create and organize files.
• Ability to meet deadlines and organizational goals.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
B.A. or B.S. in communications or life sciences field is required. Industry experience in science communication, entrepreneurial commercialization, and/or research project management may be substituted. Solid experience and knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, DropBox, Office 365, PowerPoint and Excel is a necessity. Must be a U.S. citizen or have permanent residency.
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and clean driving record.
• Occasional out-of-town, multi-day business trips will be necessary.
• Preparing and delivering oral presentations.
• Ability to work both independently and in group settings for problem solving and collaboration.
• Extensive writing, formatting, editing and proofing is a major part of this position.
• Competent use of standard office equipment such as computers, scanners, database management software, telephones and photocopiers.
• Lifting of boxes weighing up to 35 pounds.
The Citrus Research Board is an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or veteran status or other characteristic protected by the law.